Overall Reflective Summary

Although the complications with the FTV group set me back in terms of meeting some of the  original learning outcomes , I’ve still met new, and some of the original learning outcomes.

Below is each learning outcome I set myself from the ‘project changes’ post with an explanation of how I met each learning outcome.

How I did it, what could be improved to meet outcome.

• Improve my ability to construct music using software instruments -I utilized John Carpenter’s approach of improvising for a film score which provided me with a range of melodies to choose from. To add to this, David’s feedback of trying new ideas added to me improvising. Youtube tutorials like ‘Aggressive growling bass using FL Studio 11’s GMS synth’ by Computer Music Magazine provided me with knowledge on how to produce various sounds that fit into the music i’m trying to compose. To improve I could look at a wider range of  YouTube tutorials and film composer approaches to figure out which approach or set of instructions works best for the style of music I’m aiming to compose.

•  Improve my MIDI programming skills – SeamlessR’s Youtube tutorial on ‘FL Studio Basics 5: The Piano Roll’ provided me with more thorough understanding of the fundamental aspects of the piano roll in FL studio. This in turn made my workflow across the project quick and efficient when composing notes and chord progressions. To improves this learning outcome I could research more in depth youtube tutorials that look at midi programming in FL studio at a more intermediate/advanced level.

•  Improve my mixing skills – I researched practical mixing techniques From Mike Senior’s ‘Mixing Secrets for the Small Studio’  which underpinned my approach to producing and mixing the Alien music. I have improved mixing skills such as level balancing instruments in order of importance in the music and to the sound effects and dialogue. This technique avoided frequency masking in the music, and the sound effects and music. To improve this learning outcome I could research more mixing techniques from a wider range of experts in the field of music mixing, in particular mixing music, sound effects and dialogue in film.

•  Deepen my understanding of music’s function in film –  I researched a range of ideas/concepts from a range composers/experts in the field of film music. Debbie Wiseman’s BBC interview stresses the importance of music creating emotion and telling the story, as well as the absence of, and allowing space for music .In addition, Kassabian purposes of film music, Identification, mood and commentary, as well as Chion’s two types of music Empathetic and anempathetic. These ideas/concepts gave me a far greater understanding into the role of film music. To improve this learning outcome I could apply these ideas’concepts towards a range of films to see this concepts in practice and familiarise myself with the emotional impact on the audience.

•  Increase my understanding of film music composition – The John Carpenter interview and reference material reveals his simple melodic and improvisational approach. The discussion with Trent Reznor showed how he gets inside the head of the characters, works from the feelings evoked in the scene and chooses instruments that best suite that. The importance of working from the feeling/emotion in the scene is further stressed by Debbie Wiseman. The rest of my reference material shows a range complex and simple approaches to composing using orchestral and electronic instruments. This research collectively showed me a range of composing styles that achieve a certain emotional response. In addition, how simple improvisational scores are effective in the horror genre. I could improve this learning outcome by looking at a wider range of composers approaches to specifically composition. In addition, looking at the specific steps in composing they usually take whether it be an electronic or orchestral score.